Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Wreakage of Reason & Bird by Bird


This week's class spent a lot of time discussing Wreckage of Reason. I enjoyed reading these especially because they are all unique in content. “Cottage Life” by Masha Tupitsyn was one of my favorites because it uses a great amount of detail and imagery. She says on page 168, “Accusation of old love, which I weigh by my side, tips in from his corner like flour. I can bake love like pies. All of them.” I like how she related 'love' to baking. This stuck out to me because she avoided the cliché descriptions of love and made it into her own. I also enjoyed reading this because it has a 'poetic' style to it. The words seem to flow nicely with each other. On page 169, for example, Tupitsyn says “Me on the bed's tip, showing myself seriously, listening to him tell me about my beauty, because beauty is story, and it's told. Even, I have to say it, mine. Fabrication, through intimate partnership, is fine as long as you keep it home”. I thought this sounded very flowy and poetic, making it one of my favorite passages in the story.

I really enjoyed reading the pages of Bird by Bird, as well. I thought Anne Lamott gave me helpful writing advice with a humorous and friendly twist. One of the most interesting sections in the reading was on page 57. Lamott is talking about the plot of a story and used a quote by John Gardner. He said, “writing is creating a dream into which he or she invites the reader, and that the dream must be vivid and continuous”. I love this quote because it has so much truth to it. It really is an important aspect to writing a plot because you need to keep the reader going. You want the reader to be dying to know what happens next.

Also on page 57, Lamott writes about having someone else read your work. I thought this was extremely helpful advice because I have such a hard time letting anyone read my work. Whenever I start writing something, I try to keep it to myself until it is complete. I never let anyone read what I'm doing partially because I am embarrassed. Lamott discussed that it is important to have someone else read your work to let you know if “the seams show, or if you've lurched off track, or even that it is not as bad as you thought and that the first one hundred pages do in fact hold up”. This is so helpful because I need to realize that its good to have help, this will be a great thing in making sure my plot makes sense, or everything is in the right order. Outside opinions were great, also, because they do not know every single detail, like you do. They did not spend the time thinking about every detail, and that is helpful because they can tell you provided enough detail. She says, “so find someone who can bring a colder eyed and a certain detachment to the project'. This section in the “Plot” chapter was probably the most helpful so far.

The final part of Bird by Bird that I really enjoyed was on page 66 in the “Dialogue” chapter. Lamott was listing the elements of Dialogue and she stated that it would be interesting to write about two completely opposite characters. Lamott said that by placing two different people in a room together, that would make for an interesting story. That would make the story and dialogue more dramatic and could have a better climax or situation. She even says on page 67, “thus, good dialogue encompasses both what is said and what is not said”. I love her advice mainly because she helps me think of things that I normally wouldn't notice. She thinks outside the box and takes many risks. I love this book because of her quirky approach to the teaching of writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment